ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
The Jamaica Racing Commission
3 Establishment and constitution of Commission
4 Functions of Commission
5 Funds and resources of Commission
6 Application of funds
7 Borrowing powers
8 Advances and guarantee of borrowings
9 Repayment of, and interest on, advances and sums issued to meet guarantees
11 Accounts and audit
12 Annual report
13 [Deleted by Act 28 of 2003 s 2.]
14 Power of Minister to give directions to Commission
15 Appointment of manager, secretary and other servants or agents
16 Pension scheme
Racecourses and Race-meetings
17 Unlicensed persons not to operate racecourse
18 Application for licence
19 Grant of licence for racecourse
20 Transfer of licence
21 Suspension and revocation of licence
22 Race meetings and Racing Rules
23 Occupation permits required
24 Appointment of authorised persons
26 Power of Commission to delegate functions
27 Appeal to Commission
28 Decisions of Commission final
30 Power of Commission to impose penalties
THE JAMAICA RACING COMMISSION ACT
[Date of Commencement: 29th December, 1972]
3 of 1972,
4 of 1979,
14 of 1997,
28 of 2003
Preliminary (sections 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Jamaica Racing Commission Act.
In this Act, unless the context otherwise requires-
"authorised person" means a person appointed by the Commission under section 24;
"Commission" means the Jamaica Racing Commission established under section 3;
"functions" includes powers and duties;
"horse" includes mare, gelding, colt and filly;
"racecourse" means any grounds ill the Island including any buildings or structures thereon used or intended to be used for the purpose of a racecourse for racing with horses and other incidental activities, where betting transactions are conducted;
"Racing Rules" means the rules referred to in section 22.
The Jamaica Racing Commission (sections 3-14)
(1) There shall be established a body to be called the Jamaica Racing Commission to regulate and control horse-racing and the operation of racecourses in the Island and to carry out such other functions as are assigned to it by or in pursuance of the provisions of this Act or any other enactment.
(2) The Commission shall be a body corporate to which the provisions of section 28 of the Interpretation Act shall apply.
(3) The provisions of the Schedule shall have effect as to the constitution and operation of the Commission and otherwise in relation thereto.
Subject to the provisions of this or any other enactment the Commission shall have power to do all such things as are in its opinion necessary for or conducive to the proper discharge of its functions, and in particular, but without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing the Commission shall have power-
(a) to grant such licences and permits as may be required by virtue of the provisions of this Act;
(b) to recommend to the Minister the method of utilising sums under the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act for the assistance of breeders of horses and horse-racing generally; and
(c) to introduce and implement or to assist in or undertake the implementation of any scheme for the development of the horse-racing industry.
The funds and resources of the Commission shall consist of-
(a) sums placed at its disposition pursuant to the provisions of the Betting, Gaming and Lotteries Act for the improvement of breeds of horses and the improvement of horse-racing;
(b) any fees collected in respect of the issue of licences and permits under this Act;
(c) moneys collected as penalties under section 30;
(d) all other sums or property which may in any manner become payable to or vested in the Commission in respect of any matter incidental to its functions under this Act or any other enactment.
(1) The Commission may apply its funds for all or any of the following purposes-
(a) the payment of expenses incurred by it in the exercise of its functions under this Act or any other enactment;
(b) the making of payments, grants or loans for all or any of the following purposes-
(i) the increase of prize money in connection with horse-racing at racecourses;
(ii) the establishment and maintenance of a welfare and provident fund for the benefit of such categories of persons directly employed in horse-racing as the Commission may think fit;
(iii) any purpose approved by the Minister for the improvement of the breeding of horses for racing;
(c) the setting up or the operation of any undertaking, or both, for the provision of horses, amenities and any other matters or things relating to horse-racing.
(2) The Commission may attach to any grant or loan made or proposed to be made by it under this section such conditions as the Commission thinks fit.
(1) Subject to the provisions of subsection (2) the Commission may borrow sums required by it for meeting any of its obligations or discharging any of its functions.
(2) The power of the Commission to borrow shall be exercisable only with the approval of the Minister responsible for finance as to the amount, as to the source of borrowing and as to the terms on which the borrowing may be effected, and an approval given in any respect for the purpose of this section may be either general or limited to a particular borrowing or otherwise, and may be either unconditional or subject to conditions.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.