ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Establishment and constitution of Council
7 Functions of Council and Board
8 Assistance for research and projects
9 Appointment of staff
11 Exemption from personal liability
13 Accounts and audit
14 Annual reports and estimates
15 Regulations and orders
16 Directions by Minister
18 Minister may amend monetary penalties
THE NATIONAL COUNCIL ON DRUG ABUSE ACT
[Date of Commencement: 5th December, 1991]
25 of 1991,
19 of 1993,
7 of 2011.
This Act may be cited as the National Council on Drug Abuse Act.
In this Act-
"chairman" means the chairman of the Council;
"Council" means the Council appointed under section 3(1);
"deputy chairman" means the deputy chairman of the Council;
"drug" means any chemical agent affecting living tissue;
"functions" includes duties and powers.
(1) There shall be established for the purposes of this Act, a body to be called the National Council on Drug Abuse which shall be a body corporate to which section 28 of the Interpretation Act shall apply.
(2) The Council shall consist of-
(a) a Board of Management (hereinafter referred to as the Board) consisting of persons appointed in accordance with Part I of the Schedule;
[41/1997 s 2(a)(i).]
(b) such other members (hereinafter referred to as "selected members") as are representatives of the organisations listed in Part II of the Schedule.
[41/1997 s 2(a)(ii).]
[41/1997 s 2(b).]
[41/1997 s 2(b).]
(5) The Minister may by order amend the Schedule.
(6) The appointment of every member of the Council other than the ex officio members shall be evidenced by instrument in writing, and such instrument shall state the period of office of the member which shall not exceed five years.
(7) Every member of the Council shall be eligible for reappointment.
(8) The Minister shall appoint one of the members of the Board to be chairman and one of such members to be deputy chairman.
(9) In the case of the absence or inability to act of the chairman the deputy chairman shall perform the functions of the chairman.
(10) The names of all members of the Council as first constituted and every change in the membership thereof shall be published in the Gazette.
(11) The Minister may at any time revoke the appointment of any member of the Council if he thinks it expedient so to do.
(1) The seal of the Council shall be authenticated by the signatures of the chairman and the Secretary of the Council and such seal shall be officially and judicially noticed.
(2) All documents, other than those required by law to be under seal, made by, and all decisions of, the Council may be signified under the hands of the chairman and the Secretary of the Council.
(1) Any member of the Council. other than the chairman, may at any time resign his office by instrument in writing addressed to the Minister and transmitted through the chairman and from the date of the receipt by the Minister of such instrument such member shall cease to be a member of the Council.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.