ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Establishment of Quarantine Authority and appointment of members
4 Incorporation of Quarantine Authority
5 Procedure and meetings of the Quarantine Authority
6 Appointment of Officers, servants and agents, etc
7 Power to make regulations
8 Power to make rules
9 Power to make orders in emergency
10 Offences and penalties
11 Expenses and charges payable to Quarantine Authority
12 Duty and power of the Police
THE QUARANTINE ACT
[Date of Commencement: 15th December, 1951]
Law 5 of 1956.
23 of 1991,
7 of 2011.
This Act may be cited as the Quarantine Act.
(1) In this Act-
"aerodrome" includes both land and water aerodromes;
"aircraft" includes any machine which can derive support in the atmosphere from the reactions of the air and is intended for aerial navigation;
"commander" includes any person for the time being in charge or command of an aircraft;
"master" includes any person for the time being in charge or command of a ship;
"port" includes any place at which ships arrive and depart;
"ship" includes a vessel or boat.
(2) References hereinafter made to "this Act" shall be deemed to include a reference to any regulations, rules or orders in force by virtue thereof.
(1) There is hereby established a Quarantine Authority which shall consist of a Chairman and four other members to be appointed in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(2) The Minister shall appoint-
[5/1956 s 2.]
(a) the Chief Medical Officer or a Principal Medical Officer to be the Chairman; and
(b) four other members, one of whom shall be representative of the interests of shipping and another of whom shall be representative of the interests or airways.
(3) The members of the Quarantine Authority, other than the Chairman, shall hold office for such period not exceeding three years as the Minister may determine, but shall be eligible for reappointment.
(4) The Minister may appoint any person to act in the place of the Chairman or any other member of the Quarantine Authority in case of the absence or inability to act of the Chairman or such member.
(5) Any member of the Quarantine Authority other than the Chairman may at any time resign his office by instrument in writing addressed to the Chairman thereof, who shall forthwith cause it to be forwarded to the Minister, and from the date of the receipt by the Chairman of such instrument such member shall cease to be a member of the Quarantine Authority.
(6) The appointment of, removal, death, departure from the Island or resignation of any member of the Quarantine Authority shall be notified in the Gazette.
(1) The Quarantine Authority shall be a body corporate having perpetual succession and a common seal and the power to purchase, hold, and dispose of land or other property of whatever kind for the purposes of this Act.
(2) The seal of the Quarantine Authority shall be authenticated by the signatures of the Chairman, or one other member of the Quarantine Authority authorised to act in that behalf, and the Secretary of the Quarantine Authority, and such seal shall be officially and judicially noticed.
(3) All documents, other than those required by law to be under seal, made by, and all decisions of, the Quarantine Authority may be signified under the hand of the Chairman, any member of the Quarantine Authority authorised in that behalf, or the Secretary of the Quarantine Authority.
(4) The Quarantine Authority may sue and be sued in its corporate name and may for all purposes be described by such name.
(1) The Quarantine Authority shall meet at such times as may be necessary or expedient for the transaction of business, and such meetings shall be held at such place and time and on such days as the Quarantine Authority may determine.
(2) The Chairman may at any time call a special meeting of the Quarantine Authority and shall call a special meeting within seven days of a requisition for that purpose addressed to him by any three members of the Quarantine Authority.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.