ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Functions of the Institute
3B Policy directions
3C Appointment of Director-General and other officers and servants
3D Pensions, gratuities and other retiring benefits
3E Funds and resources of the Institute
3F Deposit Account and General Reserve Fund
3G Account and Audit
3H Annual report and estimates
3I Exemptions from customs duty
3J Exemption from income tax, stamp duties and transfer tax
4 Power to direct taking of census
5 Duty of Institute to carry out census
6 Regulations with respect to proceedings for taking census
7 Other statistics
8 Compilation, tabulation and publication of statistics. Etc
10 Forms, etc
11 Furnishing of information required in forms, etc
12 Leaving notice at home
13 Leaving notice at office, etc
14 Furnishing of information to Institute, etc
15 Right of entry
16 Access to public records
17 Restriction on publication of returns
18 Major offences
19 Miscellaneous offences
20 General penalty
THE STATISTICS ACT
[Date of Commencement: 20th May, 1949]
Law 34 of 1955.
3 of 1984,
11 of 2003.
This Act may be cited as the Statistics Act.
In this Act-
[3/1984 s 2.]
"Director-General" means the Director-General of the Institute appointed under section 3C;
"financial year" means the twelve month period ending the 31st day of March in any year;
[11/2003 s 2.]
"functions" include powers and duties;
"the Institute" means the Statistical Institute of Jamaica established under section 2A;
"member" means a member of the Institute appointed pursuant to the Second Schedule;
"public agency" means-
(a) any Ministry, Department or other agency of Government;
(b) any statutory body or authority, and
(c) any company registered under the Companies Act, being a company in which the Government or an agency of Government, whether by the holding of shares or by other financial contribution or by representation on the governing body, is in a Position to influence the policy of the company.
(1) There is hereby established a body to be called the Statistical Institute of Jamaica which shall be a body corporate to which the provisions of section 28 of the Interpretation Act shall apply.
(2) The provisions of the Second Schedule shall have effect with respect to the constitution of the Institute and otherwise with respect thereto.
[3/1984 s 3.]
(1) The functions of the Institute shall be-
[3/1984 s 4.]
(a) to collect, compile, analyse, abstract and publish statistical information relating to the commercial, industrial, social economic and general activities and condition of the people;
(b) to collaborate with public agencies in the collection, compilation and publication of statistical information including statistical information derived from the activities of such agencies;
(c) to take any census in Jamaica; and
(d) generally to promote and develop integrated social and economic statistics pertaining to Jamaica and to co-ordinate programmes for the integration of such statistics,
in accordance with the provisions of this Act.
(2) For the Purpose of discharging its functions the Institute may, subject to the provisions of this Act, do anything and enter into any transaction which, in the opinion of the Institute, is necessary to ensure the performance of its functions, and, without prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, may-
(a) collect from any public agency, body corporate, partnership, firm, association or any person-
(i) information required in any census to be undertaken by the Institute;
(ii) statistics relating to all or any of the matters specified in section 7;
(b) with the approval of the Minister, collect information relating to any matter, other than those referred to in paragraph (a) (i), so, however, that information collected pursuant to this provision shall be furnished on a voluntary basis and accordingly the provisions of section 19 shall not apply in respect of a refusal or neglect to furnish such information;
(c) with the approval of the Minister, enter into any arrangement-
(i) with any public agency to provide such agency with services in the collection, compilation, analysis and abstraction of date with respect to any programme conducted by such agency wherever such services are in respect of programmes conducted solely by such agency or conducted by such agency together with any other organisation whether regional or international, or in respect of programmes controlled by the government;
(ii) subject to section 3A, with any public agency, body corporate or other enterprise for the exchange of information collected jointly with such government agency, body corporate or other enterprise, as the case may be, or collected solely by the Institute on behalf of such government agency, body corporate or other enterprise.
(1) An arrangement under section 3 (2) (c) (ii) shall provide that the person in respect of whom or in respect of whose activities any report or information is sought shall be informed, by a notice to that effect, that the information will be exchanged between the Institute and the public agency, body corporate or other enterprise as the case may be.
(2) The arrangement aforesaid shall not apply where a person gives notice in writing to the Institute that he objects to the exchange of the information between the Institute and the public agency, body corporate or other enterprise, as the case may be.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.