TRANSPORT AUTHORITY ACT
ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
Establishment and Functions of the Authority
3 Establishment of Transport Authority
4 Functions of Authority
5 Ministerial direction
6 Power of Authority to co-opt
7 Appointment of managing director, secretary and other officers and servants
8 Funds of Authority
9 Borrowing powers
10 Accounts and audit
11 Annual report
12 Power of Minister to designate Inspectors
13 Duties and powers of inspectors and Police
14 Offences in relation to Inspectors
15 Proceedings against Inspector under this Act
16 Authority may prescribe fares
19 Construction of references to a Licensing Authority, the Public Passenger Transport (Corporate Area) Board of Control and the Public Passenger Transport (Rural Area) Board of Control
THE TRANSPORT AUTHORITY ACT
[Date of Commencement: 8th July, 1987]
13 of 1987,
9 of 1998,
21 of 2005.
Preliminary (sections 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Transport Authority Act.
In this Act-
"Authority" means the Transport Authority established under section 3;
"chairman" means the chairman of the Authority;
"functions" includes powers and duties;
"Inspector" means an Inspector designated as such pursuant to section 12;
"member" means a member of the Authority;
"public passenger vehicle" and "road licence" shall have the same meaning respectively as in the Road Traffic Act.
Establishment and Functions of the Authority (sections 3-7)
(1) There is hereby established a body to be called the Transport Authority which shall be a body corporate to which the provisions of section 28 of the Interpretation Act shall apply.
(2) The provisions of the Schedule shall have effect with respect to the constitution of the Authority and otherwise in relation thereto.
(1) The functions of the Authority shall be to regulate and monitor public passenger transport throughout the Island and to perform such duties as immediately prior to the 8th day of July, 1987 were required to be performed by-
(a) Licensing Authorities or specially constituted Licensing Authorities under the Road Traffic Act;
(b) the Public Passenger Transport (Corporate Area) Board of Control constituted under the Public Passenger Transport (Corporate Area) Act; and
(c) the Public Passenger Transport (Rural Area) Board of Control constituted under the Public Passenger Transport (Rural Area) Act.
(2) The Authority may in carrying out its functions under subsection (1)-
(a) charge and collect such fees as may be prescribed;
(b) borrow money in accordance with section 9; and
(c) do such other things as may in its opinion, be conductive to an efficient public, passenger transport system.
(1) The Minister may after consultation the chairman, give the Authority directions of a general character as to policy to be followed in the performance of its functions in relation to matters appearing to him to concern the public interest.
(2) The Authority shall furnish the Minister with such returns accounts and other information as he may require with respect to the activities of the Authority.
(1) Subject to section (2) the Authority may, if it thinks fit or the purpose of carrying out its functions, co-opt persons who are not members of the Authority to participate in any proceedings of the Authority either generally or in relation to any particular matter.
(2) Any person co-opted pursuant to subsection (1), shall not be entitled to vote in any proceedings of the Authority.
(1) Subject to subsection (2), the Authority may appoint and employ at such remuneration and on such terms and conditions as it thinks fit, a managing director, a secretary, and such other officers and servants as it thinks necessary for the proper carrying out of the provisions of this Act.
(2) The Authority shall not-
(a) assign to any post any salary in excess of the prescribed rate without the prior approval of the Minister; or
(b) make any appointment to any post to which a salary in excess of the prescribed rate is assigned without the prior approval of the Minister.
(3) The Governor-General may, subject to such conditions as he may impose, approve of the appointment of any officer in the service of the Government to any office with the Authority and any officer so appointed shall while so employed in relation to any pension gratuity or other allowance and in relation to other rights as a public officer be treated as continuing in the service of the Government.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.