ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Establishment of University Hospital
4 Establishment of Board
5 Duties of Board
6 Consideration of Hospital estimates
7 General powers of Board
8 Power to make by-laws
10 Composition of Board
11 Remuneration of chairman
12 Tenure of office and vacation of seats
14 Exemption from customs duty or tax
THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL ACT
[Date of Commencement: 26th November, 1948]
Law 35 of 1960.
9 of 1967,
16 of 1991,
7 of 2011.
This Act may be cited as the University Hospital Act.
In this Act-
"the Board" means the body referred to in section 4;
[9/1967 s 3.]
"employee" means any person employed in any capacity by the Board pursuant to the provisions of this Act;
"Hospital" means the Hospital established pursuant to the provisions of this Act.
There shall be established at Mona in the parish of Saint Andrew a teaching hospital which from and after the 16th February, 1967, shall-
(a) be known as the University Hospital; and
[9/1967 s 4.]
(b) be capable of providing accommodation for patients and facilities for the instruction of medical students.
(1) There is hereby established a body corporate to be known as the University College Hospital Board of Management which shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and power to acquire by purchase, barter, exchange, devise, bequest, gift or other manner whether similar to the foregoing or not and to hold and dispose of by sale, barter, exchange, gift or any other manner whether similar to the foregoing or not land and other property of whatever description.
(2) The seal of the Board shall be authenticated by the signatures of the chairman, or one member of the Board authorised to act in that behalf, and the secretary of the Board, and such seal shall be officially and judicially noticed.
(3) All documents, other than those required by law to be under seal, made by, and all decisions of, the Board may be signified under the hand of the chairman, any member of the Board authorised in that behalf or the secretary of the Board.
(4) The Board may sue and be sued in their corporate name and may for all purposes be described by such name.
(5) The powers of the Board shall not be affected by any vacancy in the membership thereof, nor by the fact that it is afterwards discovered that there was some defect in the appointment or qualifications of a person purporting to be a member of the Board.
(6) From and after the 16th February, 1967, the University College Hospital Board of Management shall be known as the University Hospital Board of Management.
[9/1967 s 5.]
(1) The duties of the Board shall be-
(a) to construct, equip, furnish, maintain, manage, control and operate the University Hospital together with all such schools for the training of hospital nurses or hospital technicians of any description as the Board may think requisite for ensuring that the University Hospital is at all times adequately provided with hospital nurses and technicians;
[9/1967 ss 2(2) and 6(b).]
(b) to make all such appointments as may be necessary to enable the duties imposed by paragraph (a) to be fully and effectually performed,
(c) to prepare and to submit to the Minister not later than the 31st day of October in each year a report of the activities of the Board, a financial statement of all receipts and expenditure and a balance sheet in respect of the operations of the Board during the preceding financial year and such report and financial statement together with the auditor's report thereon and on the accounts shall be laid on the Table of the House of Representatives:
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.