ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Establishment of the Early Childhood Commission
4 Functions of the Commission
5 Appointment of Executive Director and other Officers and Employees
6 Delegation of power by Executive Director
7 Ministerial directions
8 Funds and resources of the Commission
9 Borrowing powers
10 Guarantee by Minister of borrowings by Commission and repayment of sums issued to meet guarantees
11 Power to invest moneys
12 Accounts and audit
13 Annual report and estimates
14 Exemption from stamp duties, taxes, etc
EARLY CHILDHOOD COMMISSION ACT
[Date of Commencement: 4th March, 2003]
Act 2 of 2003.
This Act may be cited as the Early Childhood Commission Act.
In this Act-
"Commission" means the Commission established by section 3;
"child" means a child under the age of nine years;
"early childhood development" includes the education, health, safety and care of children;
"early childhood institution" means a setting that provides developmentally appropriate care, stimulation, education and socialization for children under the age of six years;
"functions" includes powers and duties.
(1) There shall be established for the purposes of this Act a body to be called the Early Childhood Commission, which shall be a body corporate to which section 28 of the Interpretation Act shall apply.
(2) The provisions of the Schedule shall have effect as to the constitution and procedure of the Commission and otherwise in relation thereto.
(1) The Commission shall perform the following functions-
(a) advise the Minister on policy matters relating to early childhood care, education and development in Jamaica, including initiatives and actions to achieve national early childhood development goals;
(b) assist in the preparation of plans and programmes concerning early childhood development;
(c) monitor and evaluate the implementation of the plans and programmes referred to in paragraph (b) and, in respect thereof, make to the Minister such recommendations as it thinks fit;
(d) act as a co-ordinating agency to ensure effective streamlining of all activities relating to early childhood development;
(e) convene consultations with relevant stakeholders as appropriate;
(f) analyse resource needs and submit recommendations for budgetary allocations for early childhood development;
(g) identify alternative financing through negotiation with donor agencies and liaise with such agencies to ensure effective and efficient use of donor funds;
(h) supervise and regulate early childhood institutions.
(2) The Commission may, with the approval of the Minister, impose charges for the use of any facility or services provided by it.
(3) For the purposes of the discharge of its functions under subsection (1), the Commission shall-
(a) submit to the Minister an annual report relating generally to the execution of its duties;
(b) collect such information and data, in relation to early childhood development services, as may be prescribed;
(c) enter into contracts with national and international agencies;
(d) establish, maintain and deliver public awareness programmes for early childhood development; and
(e) produce and publish materials on all aspects of early childhood development.
(1) The Commission shall appoint and employ, at such remuneration and on such terms and conditions as it thinks fit, an Executive Director who shall hold office for a period not exceeding four years and may be re-appointed for periods not exceeding four years at a time.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.