ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
Establishment and Functions of the Council
3 Establishment and constitution of the Council
5 Functions of the Council
6 Procedure and meetings
8 Power to appoint officers, agents and servants
9 Protection of members of the Council
10 Remuneration of members
11 Funds and resources of the Council
12 Accounts and audit
13 Annual reports and estimates
15 Discoveries and inventions
16 Exemption from income tax
17 Policy directions
THE SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH COUNCIL ACT
[Date of Commencement: 16th June, 1960]
Law 30 of 1960.
39 of 1963,
2 of 1987,
3 of 2007.
Preliminary (sections 1-2)
This Act may be cited as the Scientific Research Council Act.
In this Act unless the context otherwise requires-
"chairman" means the chairman of the Council and includes any person appointed to act as chairman of the Council;
"Council" means the Scientific Research Council established in accordance with the provisions of this Act;
"invention" includes any new process or new technique, whether or not a patent could be granted in relation thereto;
"member" means a member of the Council and includes the chairman.
Establishment and Functions of the Council (sections 3-10)
(1) There shall be established for the purposes of this Act a body to be called the Scientific Research Council.
(2) The Council shall consist of such number of persons, not being less than seven or more than ten, as the Minister may from time to time determine.
[39/1962 s 2; 2/1987 s 2(a).]
(3) The members of the Council shall be appointed by the Minister by instrument in writing from amongst persons appearing to him to be qualified as having had experience, and shown capacity, in matters relating to science, technology, industry, finance or administration.
(4) At least one member of the Council be a person engaged in the work of a scientific research organisation not maintained by the Government of this Island, and at lent two members shall be persons not engaged in the work, management or direction of any organisation concerned with scientific research or development.
[2/1987 s 2 (b).]
(5) A member of the Council shall, subject to the provisions of subsections (9), (10) and (11), hold office for two years and shall be eligible for re-appointment.
[2/1987 s 2(c).]
(6) The Minster shall appoint one of the members of like Council to be the chairman thereof and, where the chairman is granted leave of absence under subsection (8) or is unable to act, an acting chairman of the Council.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.