ARRANGEMENT OF SECTIONS
1 Short title
3 Establishment and incorporation of Tobacco Industry Control Authority
4 Functions of the Authority
4B Advances and guarantee of borrowings
4C Repayment of and interest on advances and sums issued to meet guarantee
7 Minister may issue general policy directions
8 Appeal to Minister
THE TOBACCO INDUSTRY REGULATION ACT
[Date of Commencement: 8th July, 1970]
24 of 1967
2 of 1975.
This Act may be cited as the Tobacco Industry Regulation Act.
In this Act-
"Authority" means the Tobacco Industry Control Authority established under section 3;
"chairman" means the chairman of the Authority and includes any person for the time being performing the functions of chairman;
"functions" includes duties and powers;
"nursery" means any place used for the production or cultivation of tobacco plants or tobacco seedlings,
"tobacco dealer" means any person who purchases tobacco for resale or for processing or for the manufacture of any tobacco product;
"tobacco product" means any product the principal constituent of which is tobacco;
"tobacco works" means any plant, machinery, appliances or other apparatus whether similar to the foregoing or not, and any premises, used for curing or processing tobacco or for the manufacture of tobacco products.
(1) There shall be established a body to be called the Tobacco Industry Control Authority which shall be a body corporate with perpetual succession and a common seal and with power to acquire, hold and dispose of property, to enter into contracts, to sue and be sued in its said name and to do all things necessary for the purposes of this Act.
(2) The provisions of the Schedule shall have effect as to the constitution, operations and expenses of the Authority and otherwise in relation thereto.
(3) The seal of the Authority shall be authenticated in manner prescribed in the Schedule and shall be judicially and officially noticed.
(1) It shall be the duty of the Authority-
(a) to promote the interests and efficiency of the tobacco industry of Jamaica, to assist in its development and to promote the welfare of persons engaged in that industry;
(b) to secure the most favourable arrangements for the production, handling and marketing of tobacco;
(c) to perform such other duties in relation to, or connected with, the tobacco industry or persons engaged in that industry as the Minister may require to be performed by the Authority.
(2) Subject to the provisions of this Act, the Authority shall have power, for the purpose of discharging any of its functions under this Act, to do anything and to enter into any transaction which, in the opinion of the Authority, is necessary to ensure the proper discharge of its functions.
(3) In particular and without prejudice to the generality of the provisions of subsection (2) the Authority shall have power-
(a) to establish, maintain and operate nurseries;
(b) to establish, maintain and operate tobacco plantations or tobacco works;
(c) to cultivate, cure or process tobacco and manufacture any tobacco product, and purchase, prepare for market, store, transport, distribute, sell or export any tobacco or tobacco product;
(d) to establish, maintain or operate research stations for undertaking investigations into any matter relating to the development of the tobacco industry.
(1) Subject to the provisions of subsection (2), the Authority may borrow sums required by it for meeting any of its obligations or discharging any of its functions.
This section of the article is only available for our subscribers. Please click here to subscribe to a subscription plan to view this part of the article.